Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Hobo Chicken

Inspiration: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hobo-Dinner/Detail.aspx
This recipe calls for ground beef, which I did use one time. Steve thought it tasted like meatloaf, which he doesn't really like, so I tried it with chicken and he seems to like it better.

This is my fall back recipe when I don't really feel like cooking. I always seem to have the ingredients and it is a good way to use up some vegetables before they go bad. I don't have any prices for things because a lot of the ingredients I have had for a while and don't remember what I paid for them. This isn't the most glamorous of recipes but it is easy.



I make 2 pouches. One for Steve and one for me.

Ingredients:

2 boneless, skinless chicken breats

Onion, I had some left over onion in a baggie in the fridge so I used some of what was left.

3 red potatoes, sliced

3 carrots, peeled and sliced

Lawry's seasoned salt

pepper


This is me getting ready to start. Can't start cooking without a Dr.Pepper. I hate how grocery stores only sell chicken breasts in packages of 3. Usually I buy enough to make a multiple of 2 but I was at Target and chicken seems to be more expensive there. So I bought one package and threw the last piece in the freezer.


I used 2 sheets of foil, enough to make a pouch when finished. I put the chicken breasts in first and seasoned them with Lawry's and pepper. You can pretty much season them however you like but you can't go wrong with Lawry's.


Then I piled on the onions, potatoes and carrots. I seasoned each layer. Then I folded up the foil to make a tight pouch and put in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes or until the chicken is done and the vegetables are tender.



The chicken comes out super moist. There will be some juice in the packet so I usually poke a hole in the side and drain it in the sink then dump everything on a plate. It isn't that pretty but it is yummy. It also cleans up really easily which Steve appreciates.


I have started to buy the whole carrots instead of the baby carrots because they seem to last longer. I will buy a package of baby carrots and then number use them and they dry up and don't seem very appetizing. So I have been opting for the whole carrots which don't seem to dry out. No matter how long I have them in the fridge, once they are peeled, they look as good as new.


My plan is to go to the grocery store on Sunday and really plan out my meals for next week since I haven't done so well this week. So stay tuned for more posts next week.

No comments: